The 8th of the Ethics and Compliance Managers Platform Hidiv Meetings was held on October 25, 2016 with the presentation “Profile of a Defrauder” of İdil Gürdil, Fraud Prevention and Examination Leader and Partner of Company in KPMG Risk Yönetimi Danışmanlığı, and Hakan Aytekin, the Head of the Department and the Partner of Company as well.
A total of 750 different defrauder profiles from 81 countries including Turkey were examined in the third of the “Profile of a Defrauder” report, which was prepared by the information obtained from the fraud examinations carried out between March 2013 and August 2015. Age, gender, seniority level and professional time of these defrauders were shared. In addition, the types of fraud, the factors that facilitate different types of fraud, ways to identify them and various recommendations were discussed
From the results of the research, it was underlined that, between 2013 and 2015, the fraud profiles did not show much change but that the anti-fraude controls and measures declined and that this was regarded as an opportunity by defrauders and that the technology was used extensively by the defrauders, but no adequate response could be given as compared to technology to prevent fraud.
Following the presentation, relevant experiences were shared with the participants, and examples were given through current fraud cases.
Thanks again for intense interest of our participants.
İdil Gürdil, Partner, Risk Consultant
- İdil Gürdil has been working as a partner in Risk Management Consultancy in KPMG Türkiye with 20 years of audit, advisory and business experience.
- İdil Gurdil worked as an auditor in KPMG Türkiye for nine years. During this period, she had extensive experience in various fields including auditing, appraisement and fact-finding studies. Afterwards, she worked as the manager of budget, control and reporting at Migros. In 2003 she took over the management of accounting, financial reporting and internal audit functions at Cognis. She had experience in conducting information technology projects related to Turkish accounting standards and tax legislation, management of day-to-day operations and finance. In February 2007, she rejoined KPMG Türkiye.
- İdil Gurdil has extensive sector experience in banking, leasing, factoring, fleet leasing, retail, holding companies, tourism, pharmaceutical, chemical, automotive, food, paint, tourism, insurance and energy sectors. In addition, she has deep knowledge on Turkish Accounting Standards, IFRS, US GAAP and other regulatory standards (Capital Markets Board, etc.).
- İdil has extensive experience in the SAP FI Module and other modules.
- Since February 2007, she conducted various internal audit, financial reporting, budgeting, IFRS conversion services, consulting projects on fraud risk management and fraud examination projects in KPMG.
- She lectured in financial reporting and financial accounting at Yeditepe University in 2007 and 2008.
Hakan Aytekin, the Partner, Head of Risk Management Consultancy Department
- Over 16 years consulting experience, he carried our approximately 1000 consulting projects. He added value to more than 500 global and local companies in terms of cost reductions, revenue increase and compliance with legislation.
- Main topics experienced: Corporate governance and IT system projects, Turquality, determination of company strategies, internal and external audits, process assessments and analyzes, institutional risk assessments, IT audits, GRC system setups, auditing of internal control processes related to financial reporting, information systems security screening, evaluation and preventive system installations. Hakan Aytekin has also worked as the country executive for services related to Finance Governance Technologies (FGT) and Oracle GRC issues in KPMG America.
- He worked as a leading consultant for more than 40 Turkish companies from different sectors to make them successfully enter the Turquality program. For for export increase in target markets with the relevant incentives, he offered consultancy services in terms of both strategic and corporate governance and gave support to Turquality companies to become their strategies clearer and to make them gain acceleration for successful growth.
- In more than 20 global companies operating in different industries (including FMCG), he led many projects including the selection of financial management systems, supplier selection, determination of functional needs, development of processes and successful installation of systems.
- He provided internal and external audit and outsourcing consulting services for many global companies. These services include corporate risk analysis, identification of the internal audit universe, evaluation of processes and controls (in information, finance and operational areas), and reporting to the audit committee.
- He led 5 process consultants in a project for more than 3 years in the world’s largest telecom company, and worked in all phases (functional needs, design, testing, data conversion etc.) of the establishment of an information system where the life cycle of the Fixed Asset, which is very complex and necessitates much integration, was followed.